Unique Benefits of Norman Prince's Program
Are you ready to dramatically improve your study and note-taking? Are you prepared to gain greater confidence and better results from my 6-8 hour program (three or four 2-hour sessions)?
- Save time by studying more effectively and being better organized
- Improve concentration while reading, listening, studying, writing, and taking tests
- Apply note taking techniques to text and non-fiction books, literature, lectures, presentations, courses, and professional materials
- Increase your retention with a comprehensive 10-step active learning method that includes note-taking
I have over 30 years of experience as an assistant professor of English, independent educational consultant, and master tutor. I have created a comprehensive tutoring program that will help you learn how to learn.Please contact me to schedule a free 30-minute consultation to learn about my program, how we will work together to accomplish your goals, and to get answers to your questions.
Detailed progress summaries for all sessions are sent to parents and counselors of students.
What skills will you gain?
You will see noticeable improvement in concentration, comprehension, note taking, and retention.
How soon will you see results?
You will begin to see progress by the end of the second session.
I tailor my programs to meet your needs, ensuring that you will be fully prepared. Using my proven methods and materials, I will customize a unique program for you and guide you every step of the way to meet your goals.
My program follow this proven 5-step process:
- Analyze your background as a student and note-taker
- Assess your strengths and weaknesses as a reader and learner
- You share your needs and goals
- Design a program tailored to how you learn most effectively
- Carry out the program
Highlights of some notable clients:
- A high school student took my program and is now getting straight A’s in college.
- In fewer than 10 tutoring sessions, graduate students in Traditional Chinese Medicine learned hundreds of acupuncture points and herbs and how to use them to treat numerous conditions.
Features of my programs:
- Apply note-taking techniques to text and non-fiction books, literature, lectures, presentations, courses, and professional materials
- Extensive concentration improvement strategies
- Proven anxiety reduction techniques
- Comprehensive suggestions for nutritional preparation, including “brain food” journal
- Analysis of your strongest intelligences—ways you learn best—with tips on how to use them
Program options include:
- Combine with speed-reading program
- Combine with standardized test prep program
- Apply to your academic and/or professional materials
My Exclusive Guide
Over my three decades as an educator, I’ve written comprehensive guides that produce optimal results in the accelerated time frames of my programs. These guides are exclusively available to my students. I continually update and improve them based on the latest research, professional reading, and client feedback.
- Eliminates time otherwise spent taking notes, so you can focus on learning new skills
- Includes examples of numerous note-taking techniques—notes for chapters, articles, complete books, lectures and presentations, and complete courses
- Aids in improving concentration, comprehension, retention, and test-taking skills
My exclusive guide also includes study techniques such as:
- Pre-reading all materials to get a comprehensive overview
- Self-testing by turning subtitles into questions and reading to answer them for your notes
Over 30 years of experience including:
- More than 10,000 hours of tutoring
- 20 years as an assistant professor of English at Skyline College
- Designing and writing materials for programs on study and note-taking, speed-reading, and standardized test prep
- Tutoring many adults, professionals, and graduate students in personalized, one-to-one programs
- Teaching study, reading, and test prep skills courses and workshops to students and adults at:
- USC School of Education
- Gonzaga University Graduate School of Business
- Stanford University
Individual and Group Options
I create customized programs to improve your study, note-taking, and learning skills.
I offer a substantially lower rate per person for small groups of two. If you have fellow students, peers, friends, or siblings who are at the same level and working on the same subjects and materials, you can form your own small group.
Please contact me to schedule tutoring or with questions.
Online tutoring via Zoom, FaceTime, Skype, and others.
In-person Tutoring with Covid-19 Precautions
In-person tutoring is available at my home office on 28th Street near Dolores in Noe Valley, San Francisco. Tutoring at your location is available for an additional fee.
Contact me for details at (415) 821-6595.
How long is the program?
Study and Note-Taking skills clients spend 6 to 8 hours, usually over 3-4 weeks. Weekly sessions are 2 hours long, but other session-lengths and time frames can be arranged. For maximum benefit, do at least 6 hours of outside work, so you can apply your new skills to your materials. Ongoing application is essential to consolidate those skills.
I also offer programs on standardized test prep (SAT, ACT, and others), speed-reading, grammar, writing, and vocabulary, some of which can be combined with study and note-taking skills.
Ongoing assistance is available as needed, applying reading, study, and note-taking skills to your materials and projects.
Hourly and Program Rates
Please contact me for details including pricing and rate reductions for individuals and small groups.
Payment can be made by PayPal, check, money order, or cash.
More on Policies.