Unique Benefits of Norman Prince's Writing, Grammar, and Vocabulary Tutoring
Improve your writing, grammar, and vocabulary skills, whether you are a student, professional, or non-native speaker.
Clear, correct writing is crucial for communicating effectively. Learn how to compose your best reports, essays, emails, and presentations.
I have over 30 years of experience as an assistant professor, workshop leader, and tutor. Let me apply my passion for teaching to personally enable you to optimize your writing, grammar, and vocabulary skills. Much of this work can be done on your course- or work-related assignments. My programs will make you a dramatically better writer and speaker.
For maximum improvement, I assess your strengths and weaknesses to plan your personalized program.
What skills will you gain?
You will see marked progress in organization, writing, revising, and effective vocabulary usage.
How fast will you see results?
You will improve continuously over the course of your work, with clear progress apparent by the end of the second or third session.
Learn how to:
- Compose grammatically correct sentences
- Avoid and correct serious errors like fragments and run-on sentences
- Use conjunctions to logically connect ideas and sentences
- Use transitions to illustrate your organization
Programs are also available to apply writing, grammar, and vocabulary skills to the reading and writing sections of most standardized tests, including entrance, comprehensive, hiring, and civil service exams.
I tailor all programs to meet your goals based on an analysis of your learning styles, strengths, and weaknesses.
Program options include:
- Applying writing skills to your academic or professional assignments
- Grammar brush-up— learn to compose grammatically correct sentences and effective paragraphs
- Short- and long-term vocabulary improvement to enhance your ability to understand and communicate
- Improve performance on multiple-choice and essay sections of standardized tests by bolstering your grammar and writing skills
Additional features of my programs:
- Extensive concentration improvement tips
- Analysis of your strongest learning styles and how to use them
- Proven anxiety reduction techniques
- Comprehensive suggestions for nutritional preparation to maintain focus (“brain food”)
Over 30 years of experience, including:
- More than 10,000 hours of tutoring
- Designing and writing materials for tutoring individuals and small groups on writing, grammar, and vocabulary
- Teaching reading and writing skills to college, high school, and middle school students, and adults at Skyline College, Stanford University, Foothill-De Anza Community Education, and City College of San Francisco
My Exclusive Guides
Over my three decades of teaching and tutoring, I have written guides that produce optimal results for clients in the accelerated time frames of my programs. I continually update and improve these guides based on the latest research, professional reading, and helpful suggestions from students.
My grammar brush-up guide features comprehensive strategies for:
- Writing grammatically correct sentences
- Recognizing and correcting fragment and run-on sentence errors
- Logically connecting ideas and sentences using conjunctions
- Logically relating ideas and paragraphs using transitional words and phrases
- Correctly utilizing the eight parts of speech based on their functions
My vocabulary guide will make you a more effective reader, writer, and speaker, featuring:
- Helpful hints for, and major myths about, improving vocabulary
- The most common prefixes and roots for maximum gains in minimal time
- Essential context strategies
- How to avoid critical mistakes with commonly confused words
- Highly cost‐ and time-effective–as few as 6 hours of one-to-one work plus outside practice
- Materials designed to optimize your grammar and vocabulary improvement within the accelerated time frames of the programs
- Supplementary books, exercises, and assessments for continued improvement of your newly acquired grammar, writing, and vocabulary skills
Online tutoring via Zoom, Skype, Facetime, and others.
In-person tutoring is available at my San Francisco Home Office, located on 28th Street between Dolores and Guerrero in Noe Valley, San Francisco. Tutoring at your location is available for an additional fee. Travel and prep time billed at my normal hourly rate.
Contact me for details at (415) 821-6595.
Individual or Group
I will create a customized program to improve your writing, grammar, and vocabulary skills. You will also receive a detailed analysis of your strongest learning styles and how to use them.
Small groups—Grammar Brush-Up and Vocabulary Improvement
I offer a substantially lower rate per person for small groups of 2 people. If you have fellow students, peers, friends or siblings who are also interested in improving their grammar or vocabulary, you can form your own small group. I do not organize groups for clients.
Please contact me to schedule tutoring, or with questions.
What is the time frame for tutoring?
Programs for grammar and/or vocabulary are as few as 6 hours in length. Typically, clients meet with me for a 2-hour session each week, but other session-lengths and time frames can be arranged.
For maximum benefit, supplement the tutoring with outside work, applying your newly acquired skills to your own assignments.
I generally work with writing clients on an ongoing basis, and I also work with people on major projects.
If you also need improvement in standardized test prep, reading rate and comprehension, and/or study and learning skills, that will require additional hours.
Ongoing or on-demand
Ongoing or as-needed assistance applying writing skills to your own materials is available.
- Ongoing writing assistance, providing help with proofreading, editing, and revising
- As-needed writing assistance with organizing your papers, developing your point-of-view, and supporting it with relevant evidence
Hourly and Program Rates
Please contact me for details including pricing and discounts for individuals and small groups.
Payment can be made by cash, check, money order, PayPal, Venmo, or Zelle.
More on Policies.
Contact me to schedule tutoring, or with questions.